What we focus on, we move towards. And... that's why I love this best selling book by Tom Rath. It's a simple book with an outstanding premise: when we focus on our strengths, we thrive. The bulk of the book is a to be used alongside of the results you get from taking a 35 minute online survey. The survey identifies your top 5 strengths. In order to take the "quiz" you have to buy the book and use your unique passcode in the back.
Why is it important to identify your strengths? Well, your strengths are your strengths, whether you recognize them or not. When you have clarity about what you're good at, it becomes easier to release the things we're not as good at.
Roth talks about using our raw talent as a multiplier:
...we've discovered that the most successful people start with dominant talent -- and then add skills, knowledge, and practice to the mix.
Building on your strengths works as an excellent platform for self-confidence, self-beleif, and self-trust. As if I needed more proof, my five strengths have me confident that life coaching is pretty much my home zone. Chances of me finding a better fit for my talents seems unlikely...
MY TOP FIVE
1. Activator this strength means I am a fire starter
2. Connectedness this strength means I THRIVE when I feel connected, supported, and supporting
3. Communication this strength means I am meant to share my insights
4. WOO (win people over) this strength means i want people to see and be the best version of themselves
5. Ideation this strength means ideas energize me
A strengths-based-focus is a fantastic way to look at who you are and what kind of work you are meant to be doing in this world.
Have you taken the strengths-finder assessment? I would love to hear your top 5.